Thursday, February 12, 2009

One More Day Left

Today was mildly eventful. My day started out around 4:45. I am still getting used to the time change. Dee Dee got up around 5:30 and pewee got up shortly after. We had the doctor coming this morning at 6:30. He came in and said hello, he spoke very good English. He asked a few questions about Alex and then checked heartbeat, reflexes and hearing and sight. He also measured him. Great news he is in the 25% in height and 25% in weight. He also measured Alex’s head. He is in the 95% in this measurement. I was so proud; I was like “look at the big brain on my kid”. His head is already bigger than my friend Rick.

Dee Dee went downstairs and met with Michael around 8:30 and filled out some remaining paperwork before we go to the U.S. Embassy tomorrow. While she was doing paperwork, Alex and I went walking. The good news is he is ok with plants now. He reached out and grabbed at some fern looking thing. He however is not too sure about Quoi fish. There is a pond in the Japanese restaurant downstairs. We walked the hotel lobby a couple of times and came back upstairs to meet mommy. Dee Dee came back and we got Alex dressed and were off to the mall.

We had pizza and chicken lunch. They also have these juice stands set up in the mall. We LOVE them. They use whole fruit in this industrial juicer. It is so good. We walked the mall for a while, and I looked for some clothes. We went back to the grocery and picked up some dinner for tonight and more water. We get so dehydrated here every time we fly. We are going to rest tonight and play with Alex after his nap. Tomorrow we are looking forward to tying up loose ends and packing one last time for the flight home.

Alex is getting better everyday. By “better” I mean more acclimated to his surroundings. He is starting to understand us more and more. We taught him to untie his shoes. Yes I know it would be better to tie them, small steps. He is also starting to not test his boundaries as much. Today also brought fewer fits and fussing. We are so looking back to getting him home and getting him settled in a routine.

I look forward to my last blog before we get home on Saturday. I hope all is well and the last one will be a long one. So be ready to read.

Brad

DD’s Input:

Alex was such a good boy today and Mama is so proud of him. He has learned to say cracker when he wants his crackers. He still loves the thin hard fiber crackers. They are pretty good for you considering they are crackers.

Once we got back from the mall which was a much better experience than yesterday, we put Alex down for his nap. He went right down with no complaining…He was worn out. This room is just one big room so we stay in the same room with him as he sleeps. Not much wakes him up, so we are still able to watch TV and pick up around the room.

Once he woke up from his nap, Brad was still asleep, so I fed Alex his snack (pieces of banana and pieces of an apple and of course his cracker). As he was eating he kept tooting, so I figured it was about time to potty, so I asked him if he needed to potty and then I went and got it out of the bathroom and brought it to him. He went and put it back in the bathroom and came back to eating. He ate a little more and then he grabbed his snack and took it to the bathroom. I asked him again if he wanted to potty and he pulled on his diaper, so I took his clothes and diaper off and right when he sat on the potty he had an explosion. After that I thought it would be a great time to give him a bath. He had a great bath. He wants all of our shampoo, soap, and conditioner containers and I let him play with them. He gets mad because he isn’t strong enough to open them. I am going to be in trouble when he can open things.

We have a picture album full of pictures of family and friends so that he can get familiar with faces. He points to everyone and wants us to tell him their name. He just started doing this. He really loves pointing to GG (my mom) and LaLa (Brad’s mom). He always points at them for some reason. He has never repeated anyone’s name except for Mama, Papa, and Owee (our dog Zoe).

Well, it is a little early for wine (4:45pm), but Brad and I decided we needed a glass anyway. We are starting to understand why a lot of parents have to have wine in the evening. This parenting stuff is hard work. He is full speed except when he is sleeping. Even the doctor said he was very active. We said, “You are telling us?” We have been chasing him around for a week now.

We are so excited to get out of here, but a little nervous about the travel on Saturday. Pray for us because we need it!

Love,
DD

1 comment:

The Sparrow said...

I'm sure you are sooo glad it is almost over! I love the comment about Rick's head, and I'm assuming you are talking about the Rick that I know. Also, I think that Peewee is a great nickname. Just don't let it stick past age 10 or so. SOunds like you guys are doing great and I hope you have a very uneventful trip home.