Saturday, February 7, 2009

1 Down 5,839 till college

1st Full Day with Alex

DD started off the blog:
Alex slept through the night except for waking up one time and cried for a few seconds. I went and calmed him down and he fell right back to sleep. He has a cold, so he coughed a lot through the night. He also tossed and turned a lot. Brad and I didn’t get much sleep at all…maybe a couple of hours. Every time that Brad or Alex rolled over, I woke up…and that was constant all night. We are going to give him some medicine before bed tonight, so hopefully he doesn’t cough as much.

We found out another thing that Alex does like his Mama. I hated going to bed as a child, but once I was asleep, I didn’t want to wake up. Alex doesn’t like going to sleep and it takes a lot to wake him up. He can sleep through anything. I put him down for his nap around 12:30 and he cried for about 3 minutes and then went to sleep. We had to wake him up around 3:30 b/c he was still sound asleep.

We found out that he loves fruit…just like me. At breakfast he ate slices of pineapple, apples, peaches, pears and probably a few other fruits. He ate one big jar of apple sauce today and one big jar of some meat, potato, carrot baby food stuff. He likes juice, but he likes it watered down…Thanks for that suggestion Trixie. He doesn’t seem to like milk at all. Another lady we met that adopted from this region said that her son wouldn’t drink milk either. He still hasn’t taught himself to suck, so he doesn’t like the sippy cups, he only likes to drink out of regular cups.

We had to go get his passport picture made today and then after we did that the driver dropped me and Alex off at the hotel and Brad had to go for about an hour or so to go sign documents. Alex and I got some good quality playtime together while Papa was out. Alex has always (since day one of meeting him) favored his Papa, so he asked about Papa a few times while Brad was gone. We played and he wore me out. I’m beginning to understand how my friends with toddlers stay so thin. Brad and I haven’t been able to eat much b/c we are too busy trying to feed him and keep him happy and we run around chasing him all day.

Brad’s blog:

I must say I need a little sleep and a Beer. Like Dee Dee said above I know how people with kids stay thin. The little guy wears me out. It has truly been a wonderful experience so far and I know it will only get better. I have noticed the child is a bottomless pit. He eats a lot of food and has not #2 yet. I don’t know if his stomach was empty but this is going on 24hrs with no deuce. Any way enough of the potty talk, I guess I should be happy I don’t have to change a poopy diaper.

I had to go with the translator and Svetlana today. I am not sure what I was doing or signing. All I know is it had something to do with the passport and birth certificate. Our new translator Oxana (spelling) took me to the bank to get money exchanged after the errands. Bart, I am trying to talk her into moving to Alabama for you. I came home and we put Alex down for a nap. After his and my nap we did bath time. He did not like it at first, but once in the there he thought it was the greatest thing ever. He splashed around and enjoyed it. We do have pictures for later in life. After bath we went out to the store for more supplies. On the way home we stopped in the park and took pictures. Alex and I also went down the slid once or twice. We came back to the room and for the last 2 hrs he and I have played tag / chase. He has the most infectious laugh I have ever heard. I was worn out an hour ago but his laugh makes me chasing him.

DD is giving him a drink right now. We are trying to get him using a sippy cup but he does not like it. He continues to drink out of a glass or try to pour a water bottle in his mouth. The later usually ends up on him and in the floor. We are now going to try and wear him out before bed. I have never been happier to be tired. I know he does not know exactly what is going on but I love it. He puts a smile on my face even when he is crying, which is almost never. We are still trying to figure out some things. I guess it would not be fun if you knew how to do everything. Well I guess I am going to get back to the Dad thing. I hope everyone is having a wonderful day and feel free to send emails and advice if you like. We enjoy reading emails they keep us going. Dee Dee forgot to mention one other thing they have in common they are both very ticklish.

Brad

2 comments:

Janis said...

Hi Guys!
He sounds pretty much like Brendan did (minus the non=pooping part==just you wait...it WILL happen!!) For drinking, try Kefir....it is that thickish yogurt they have (unrefrigerated)in the breakfast buffet at the hotel. Brendan will still not drink milk (he's been home 2 months yesterday) but drinks 2 kefirs a day. Luckily they sell it here....basically a yogurt smoothie.
Can't wait to see some pictures!!!
Janis

The Bordens said...

Hey. Sassy makes a cup that is like a straw, I bet he will like that better, try it when you get back home, or try drinking from a starw, great the water down juice worked.