Friday, January 30, 2009

Day 3 and 7 to go

Magic

Day 3 and 7 to go.

Today started off the same way the last couple have. We woke up went to breakfast and ate too much. We skipped working out today because we are so sore. We came back to the room and took showers and got ready to go see Alex. We were a little concerned that we might no see him today because the temperature outside is -30c or -26f. Cars don’t like to start when it is that cold outside so we were praying that our driver was going to make it. About 9:00 we were downstairs and a 1992 silver Banra pulls up and Alexander is ready to go. We were so excited that he decided to drive.

We go to the orphanage around 10am and went upstairs and waited on Alex. He came right in with a slight grin on his face and walked straight to Dee Dee and me. It was such a special feeling. It is if he is starting to recognize us. Even if it is as the two people he does not understand but give him all the attention, I am ok with that. Anyway, we brought him a new toy today, and unlike the bear it did not scare the crap out of him. We gave him his first cell phone. It teaches children numbers, shapes and how to say hello in different languages. It also makes a lot of noise, the best feature.

Not to bore you with the trivial parts, but he did walk around and talk on it and like to play with the puppets. Now to the GREAT stuff. His little class came into the room while we were there and they did sing a long. It was the cutest thing I have ever seen. All these little kids having so much fun, considering their circumstances was so special. A few minutes later that group of kids left and a new group entered. That is when he walked over and started showing off his new phone. He only wanted to show it though, no one could touch it.

We enjoyed our time with him so much today. It will go down as my favorite so far. I felt so blessed when I watched Dee Dee and him playing, and for the first time he was all smiles. He let both of us pick him up and play with him and hug on him and tickle him and just all around be his parents. He was running around happy and wanted to play with Dee Dee and me as much as possible. Not one more than the other like before, but just which ever one of us was standing there he wanted to play with. At the end of the session today his main caregiver was in the room playing the piano and Dee Dee, Alex and I were in the floor playing. I was telling Alex to give something to his mama and he stopped and tapped me on the head twice and said DaDa. Now either he was agreeing with me that Dee Dee was his mother, which is very special, or he was calling me DaDa. Now most children in Russia say Papa, but I am going to pretend that he knows a little English. A few moments later his caregiver came over and said it was time to go eat and take a nap. At least that is what I could decipher from her hand gestures. I look down at that point and Alex has put his head down and crawled in my lap. It almost broke my heart. He wanted to stay and play with us. Unfortunately, we had to go so he got up and waved by to both of us and he was gone until next week.

We are so looking forward to next week to see him. I think we are making great progress with him and he is starting to become aware of what is going on. We are now back in the room and have eaten lunch and watched a movie. Dee Dee is taking a nap and I wish I could but I want to sleep soundly tonight because last night I did not sleep well at all. I hope all is well back at home and we look forward to more good news next week. It is now Friday and the weekend and we are ready to party. Just kidding there is nothing to do. I did get wonderful new this evening that our trip to see Alex will not be Monday, due to the fact that the temp is going down to -39c. I cannot wait. That is so cold your breath freezes to your face, and you just walk around with a permafrost cloud in front of you.

We love you all and thanks for all of the e-mails and support it does make us laugh and keeps us going. We look forward every morning to reading your e-mails.

Love

Brad and Dee Dee

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great blog B-rad. I enjoyed reading it so much, I read it twice. Sounds like Alex is starting to get comfortable with his new parents. That is awesome!! A few days before you have a life time of memories back at home in Bama. B-rad, signing day is Tuesday so I will keep you updated with Bama's signees. Hang in there, stay warm, we miss you guys and I will have a margarita for you tonight at Two Peso's.

Love you guys,

D

Mississippi Candice said...

That is just so sweet! When do yall get to see him again? Enjoy your weekend. Don't forget today is Rick's Birthday.